Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter break

What more could one ask for than a four day weekend? Added to that, beautiful weather, new shoes, and the prospect of a month off starting in three days...ah, the bliss!

It has been a wonderful weekend (had Friday and Monday off of school.) Although I had to work Friday, I got some cleaning done and did the seasonal switchover of clothes in the closet, getting rid of ill-fitting (thankfully in a good way) :-) and un-used items. You know, there's nothing quite like the feeling of de-cluttering your closet.

Then, Saturday was busy with a run down to Philly to purchase some Vibram Five Fingers (VFFs). VFFs are running shoes created to simulate running barefoot, while still giving your feet the protection they need. I have been researching these shoes, and barefoot running in general, for quite some time, and it was finally time to make the leap. VFFs, and barefoot running, are better for you than the average running shoe because they help to correct improper form (one aspect of which is heel-striking instead of landing mid-foot.) The recommendation is to start slow, like 1/4 mile, and build up to using them because they use muscles differently. However, I thought I would just wear them for my normal length run. After a mile, however, I had to stop...good thing, too, as I can still feel the effects. :-) Next time, I'll do as they say.

So, one of these days, you may just see me with these (as Mrs. P puts it: hideous, lol. thx, Mrs. P) toe shoes. You can point and laugh, but me liberated feet will just smile and shake their head wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment