Saturday, March 20, 2010

Li'l Slice o' Paradise

Two words. Monkey. Bread. If you've never experienced it, you can't possibly imagine the deliciousness. I have fond (slightly grandiose) memories of consuming this lovely delicacy as a child, yet, somehow, it had been well over ten years since I had partaken of the joy found in its flavors. Imagine the pure ecstasy that flooded my consciousness when I found a recipe for from-scratch monkey bread with a cream cheese glaze!!! Of course, I immediately started plotting the day when this piece of goodness would intersect with my life, and finally my opportunity presented itself in the form of a morning off from school before I had to go into work. And so, Friday, I pulled out the various bowls, spoons, and measuring cups (and my special friend, the paper towel) to unite my tastebuds with a divine culinary masterpiece. This, my friend, is Brown Butter Cinnamon-Sugar Monkey Bread (don't lick the computer screen)




Just a side note here, the author recommended browning the butter used to coat the bread, and, though I had only vague notions of how to accomplish this, I determined to attempt it. Just keep heating it till it turns brown, right? Simple. Actually, that's exactly what I did, and that was my first ever brown butter experience. I couldn't resist tasting the butter because it smelled a-mazing. It was very rich and had these little brown grains that collected at the bottom, making it necessary for me to stir the butter every time I plopped another piece of dough into the bowl. Succinctly, I will be using brown butter again as soon as I find a recipe that remotely calls for its appearance. Perhaps at at the next girls' get together...?

And thus, I introduced my co-workers to monkey bread. Sadly, two of them had never tried it. It got high marks all around. And I had a great time making it. Score one (or two hundred) for my friend (whom I've never met, but if I did, I'm sure we'd be best of friends) at smitten kitchen. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment