Sunday, November 7, 2010

Touching little lives

Since my last post described my trip to Great Britain (ahem, only 5 weeks late), I suppose I should catch up to today...as much as I possibly can. So very much has happened in October and the first week of November, that I could not POSSIBLY put it in one post. For starters, I "jumped in the deep end" (at least it felt that way) by beginning a new job in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at St. Luke's Hospital, Bethlehem Campus. Although I am not accustomed to creating lists in this blog, I have seen others do it with much success. Therefore, I will attempt one, as it will somewhat efficiently relate the many things I have encountered over the last 5 weeks.

  • Finished my 5th week in the NICU
  • Practiced starting IVs and drawing blood from both veins and arteries
  • Changed many, many diapers
  • Saw a baby dying before our eyes (what blessedness to know they go straight to the arms of Jesus!)
  • Snuggled and fed
  • Admitted and discharged
  • Performed hearing tests
  • Gave shots and other medications
  • Participated in a rapid-response situation (not exactly a code, but similar)
  • Mechanical ventilated a baby with a bag (they're called "bags"--it's like in CPR, when you squeeze the bag, and the air goes into they're lungs)
  • And, of course, many other miscellaneous things I can't remember right now

All in all, it has been a great 5 weeks. It's had its ups and downs, but I have grown so much in my knowledge base, and in my interpersonal skills. I have so much more growing in each area; it's amazing to look back where I was when I started and compare it with where I am now, and where I will be, Lord willing. I praise Him for opening the door to this job.

And it still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to sit back and think: I'm a nurse! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment