Ah, yes. Reality has come to visit with a vengeance; so THIS is what it's like to work a full-time job!! I never knew. I have been introduced to the kind of busy that involves no time to sit and think about...well...anything beyond lunchtime (yes, sadly, that is one of the highlights of my day. My 30 minutes of r/r with a book and some leftovers.) :-)
But busyness I thrive upon; and life in the ICU is no exception. Funny, I was thinking the other day, while I was changing one of about 10 different IV meds my patient was receiving, how strange it would be to move to a regular floor and just have a normal saline drip for my patient; just one basic IV to keep the vein patent. Huh.
I really appreciate how encouraging the doctors are to me, a lowly nursing student. I've heard all the horror stories about doctors being so arrogant (and there are definitely those); especially, I've heard that neurosurgeons are some of the worst. But, after working on a neuro/trauma ICU, I have seen the other side of the coin. Doctors go out of their way to teach me something or answer my questions. One time, in particular, I was so touched that Dr. A (a woman whose approachableness I had questioned) spoke to me (not my nurse) and told me to go get 10 of morphine for a dying patient. Of all things!! And, that wasn't the only time she dealt with me as if I was a bona fide nurse. Several times, she assigned tasks, purposely having me answer calls or page people to the room. I was touched. Dr. A, thank you.
It amazes me that I've already worked 80 hours in the ICU. It also makes me sit back in wonder that, just 3 weeks ago, I walked onto the unit with fear and trembling, and now I am almost autonomously caring for one of the sickest patients you'll see.
Oh praise the LORD, for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment