So I started back to school two weeks ago. (I know, starting a blog entry with "so"?? very unprofessional. not like those blogs that seem to flow so effortlessly from someone's gray matter. but, enough about my cyber-insecurities.) The first day back included orientation (of course), which was followed with a four-hour pharmacology (the study of drugs--basically a review of more-than-the-average-joe-wants-to-know about medications) seminar. Naturally, the next day (yes, the SECOND day back to school) boasted a TEST on said information. (which was all supposed to be review of what we learned the first year of school, like, who actually rememebers that stuff?) Thankfully, and strangely, I passed with an acceptable grade.
The same cannot be said for the next test, which came a week later. That tight feeling in my chest? That wasn't a myocardial infarction (heart attack) or even stable angina (chest pain with exercise.) No, that was a direct result of my brain screaming, "Wha..?! WHERE DID THAT GRADE COME FROM??!!" (yes, in my delirious state, even my brain couldn't help but end the sentence with a preposition) The long and short of it is, I was using a strategy to answer the questions that backfired; I thought I knew the answers the teacher wanted, and, unfortunately, lost my wager. But, the third test (yes, not even two weeks from the start of school) rang in at one of my best grades ever, so I am feeling more comfortable. Also, five points were allowed to the monster, which made it a little more palatable. A little. (funny how your perspective changes when your worst nightmares come true.)
And now, I begin studying for my next test, on Wednesday. My private belief is that Nursing 8 (the generic name given to this summer's course of study) has one of two purposes: 1)Consolidate everything you've learned over the last two years 2)Scare you silly and make you question why you EVER chose to be a nurse. Haha. Just kidding. I really enjoy learning about the amazing machine God has so marvelously created.
And, I am looking forward to preceptorship (4 weeks of on-the-job training), which will most likely (not 100% sure, but almost) be in the ICU at St. Luke's Bethlehem.
No comments:
Post a Comment