Monday, February 22, 2010

Welcome to the psych ward...

I started my psych rotation today. *scary music* I have not been thrilled with the prospect, although a new rotation always brings some excitement. (by "rotation", I refer to a period of time in school that is focused on one particular specialty in nursing. I have already completed medical/surgical, pediatrics, OB/maternity, and geriatrics--old ppl.) Sadly, one of the psych teachers died last fall, and I am sorry to not be under her tutelage--she was very sweet. But, I will be making the best of the situation, and not share my biased, fundamentalist thinking too freely. That is frowned upon. :-P

In the weeks ahead, I will be visiting the Allentown State Hospital (if they haven't begun closing it by then--don't get me started) and various institutions in the valley. I also have to attend two Alcoholics Anonymous meetings (yuck!) and four hours of other support groups. Coincidentally, there just happens to be a support group that meets every Friday night at LVBC (re:RU). And, Lord-willing, a couple of fellow students may be coming with me to RU!!

This afternoon, I shuffled endless mounds of charts and papers (I work as a file clerk at my family doctors' office), yet again daydreaming of the bliss awaiting in the fall when I will manage people, not papers and earn pay, not peanuts (oh, dear! I'm beginning to sound like Bro. Wilhite!!) But, in all things, I must learn to be content. I am thankful to have a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment